If you require sending email alerts that need to be customized for specific scenarios, such as help desk or problem ticket emails or email alerts that need to be formatted or contain specific monitoring device information, such as location, error code, reason for alert, etc., you can utilize the Alert Template option within the Dotcom-Monitor platform.
The email Alert Template helps you to define the look, feel, and specific content of the alert messages. Emails can be configured to be sent to individuals or groups. For example, technical users’ messages could have links to network traceroutes or even snapshots of the error that caused the alert.
Email Alert Templates can be found/created in the main menu under Configure > Alert Templates.
The Alert Template editor allows you to input static and dynamic variables to customize the alert for the intended recipient. The dynamic variables can be used in both the subject and the body of the alert emails. For example, a device name, error code, a response time can be added to the message. This can help troubleshoot the errors that trigger an alert.
Choose from the available list of static variables in the following list below:
<%Contact_Full_Name%> <%Contact_Org_Name%> <%Contact_Title_Name%> <%Site_Name%> <%Monitor_Datetime%> <%Duration%> <%Location%> <%TaskInfo%> <%TaskType%> <%Task_Name%> <%Error_Code%> <%Error_Dscr%> <%Reason%>
Alert Email Template Configuration Options
When creating an alert email template, you can configure the following fields:
Name: Specify a descriptive name that is going to be recognizable in a list of other alert email templates. This field is mandatory.
Email Subject: This field is optional, but we recommend including an email subject line. Enter a descriptive subject so that recipients can easily identify the purpose of this message. You can use a dynamic variable <%NotificationTypeAlertName%> to have the alert type added automatically. The following values, depending on alert type, are available within the Dotcom-Monitor platform:
- Alert in situations where the device is down because of an error.
- All Clear in cases when the device is no longer in the alerting state.
- Test in the case of running test alert simulations.
Email Reply-To: The Email Reply-To is an optional field. Specify the address that will be used if a recipient attempts to reply to this automated message.
Type: Select the format of the message, either plain text (TXT) or HTML.
An alert could be triggered by the following types of events:
- An error, which means the alert has been triggered by the automated system. For a list and explanation of error types and error codes within the Dotcom-Monitor platform, read our comprehensive overview.
- A test, which means that a user has manually triggered the alert to make sure that the proper recipients are receiving the alert in the proper format. For more information about testing alert notifications, read the How to Test Alert Notifications section on the Getting Started with Device Manager Knowledge Base article.
- An uptime alert, which is an automated message that can be configured to send to recipients once a device has left an error state and all detected errors have been resolved. Read more in our Uptime Alerts Knowledge Base article.
A template can be configured to contain the message of the source event in the body. Within each Source field, you can review the dynamic variables that have been pre-populated in each box and edit or configure them to meet your specific needs. Read our Adding Dynamic Variables to Alert Template Knowledge Base article for more information about using dynamic variables.
- Error Source. The Error Source field is optional, but if required, you can customize the default message contents of an error event.
- Test Source. The Test Source field is optional, but if necessary, you can customize the default message of a test event.
- Uptime Source. The Uptime Source is another optional field, but if required, users can customize the default message of an uptime event.
The Alert Template Options from within the Dotcom-Monitor platform provide administrators with the flexibility to easily and quickly create customized error alert messages for special alerting scenarios.
Find out more about all the advanced Dotcom-Monitor alert options, such as alert delivery mechanisms (SMS text messages, phone calls, Slack, PagerDuty, etc.), Group Alerts, Alert Escalation, and more. The alerting configurations from Dotcom-Monitor provide administrators and teams with immediate error alerts to minimize downtime and maintain high levels of user satisfaction.