Tags enable you to mark, filter, and easily search for a related type of Dotcom-Monitor monitoring device or notification group. For example, you can filter and search for monitoring devices based on shared tags.
Creating a Tag
The Tag Manager allows you to create a new tag and configure its settings. You can access Tag Manager from the left-side menu bar.
To add a new tag:
- Click New Tag.
- Type in a tag name. We recommend using short names to make it easier to distinguish the names in the list.
- Select a color of a tag mark to highlight the tag name in the item list. Use unique colors to make it easier to scan the item list.
- Save changes.
Once added, a tag name will be listed in the Tag Manager list and available for tagging from Device Manager and the Notification Group page.
You can edit and delete a tag from the system at any time.
Dotcom-Monitor supports tagging of monitoring devices and notification groups.
- To tag an item, hover over the item you need to add a tag to in the list.
- Click the ellipsis icon to open the Show Actions menu.
- Select the Tag As action from an item’s action menu.
- In the Tags list, you can select from already added tags or create a new one by clicking the Manage Tags link on the bottom of the list. You can add as many tags as necessary to an item.
- Save Changes.
Once changes have been applied, the newly added tag(s) will be displayed next to the item name in the item list.
For bulk tagging, select the appropriate items in your list and use the corresponding bulk action menu on the top of the list.
Using Tags for Searching and Filtering
To search for all items (devices or notification groups) with a specific tag, click the tag name next to the corresponding item name in the list.
You can also use the tags filter to filter by tags in any search. To do this, click the Tag filter on the Filter panel and select the tag(s) you want.
Publishing Tags to Alert Notification Messages
The details of the tags that are assigned to a device can be published to alert notification messages.
By default, we do not include tag details in alert messages. However, you can create a custom alert template and use it to send alert notifications. Please see how to create Custom Alert Templates in the Alert Template: Setup and Configuration (Text & HTML & JSON) article.
To add tag details to an alert template, in the template content editor, select the Device code snippet from the Snippets list. By default, we provide the code that publishes names and color references of the tags that are assigned to a device. You can change the default snippet in the template editor at any time.
An example of the customized notification email is given below.