Comment Log – is a simple tool to add explanatory text notes to monitoring responses, based on a specified range of time. There are many different types of comments that can be created based on the circumstances. As an example, you could create a comment that explains that a specific server error is due to testing of a server and is not an actual error. When added, comments will be displayed in Online Reports and XML Feed.
To review Comment Log, go to the Configure menu on the bottom navigation toolbar, and select the corresponding option. This will bring up a list of all previous comments if any.
Dotcom-Monitor allows comments to be filtered based on:
- Start date and time.
- End date and time.
- Public, private or all comments.
Using the filters, Dotcom-Monitor generates a list of all comments fitting the criteria. Comments can be modified, edited or deleted at any time.
Setting up Comment Options
To set up the tool, click Add Comment.
On the comment screen, the following options must be specified:
- Title. Comment title to display. Enter a meaningful title to distinguish the comment between others.
- Description. Provide an explanation to a monitoring response.
- Start Date and End Date. The start and the end time of time period during which all monitoring responses will be commented and the comment will be added to a device comment log.
- Is Private. Depending on your goals, the comments in the comment log can be private or public. Unlike Private comments which are reflected as notes only in online reports, Public comments are also reflected in the XML Feed. Select the option checkbox to add the comment to online report only.
Selecting devices to comment
To add comments to monitoring responses of a device, in the Add/Remove Devices to current Comment select the corresponding checkbox. Check the Device name box to select all devices under a platform.
How to find your comments in Online Report
Once set up, comment log can be accessed from a device Online Report under the Log tab.
To open comment, on the Log tab, click the comment icon in a response line.
How to add comments to XML Feed
Public comments will be added to previously configured XML Feed.