How to create devices and tasks
The MetricsView Linux monitoring service enables Linux computer or server monitoring, as well as allowing users to set thresholds for data from Collectd performance counters and set alerts when those thresholds are exceeded.
Once you have created a device, installed the Linux Agent and are adding or editing a custom collector task, you will be prompted to adjust the following settings::
MetricsView Collectors enables the data gathering from Collectd performance counters from target computers.
To start with the task, you need to specify the collector agent, that will be used as a monitoring target for the task:
- If a collector agent has already been set up, select the name of the collector agent in the Use Existing Collector or Install New list.
- If there are no collectors in the list, click Install New to set up a new collector.
Linux Counter Path reflects the relative path to the counter in the source system: [local or remote machine]\[category]\[instance ]\[counter type]. The counter path is generated automatically based on the values selected in the Hostname/Category/Instance/Counter dropdowns.
Provide an IP or a name of the target machine with MetricsView Linux Agent (Collectd) installed.
Select 1st level grouping criteria (for example, CPU).
Select 2nd level grouping criteria (for example, CPU #2 load).
Select 3rd level grouping criteria (for example, CPU Core number).
- Aggregate: All received data will be aggregated on a regular basis, according to the adjusted device frequency.
- Maximum – the highest value from the array will be taken.
- Average – value is calculated as an average of all intermediate values.
- Minimum – the lowest value from the array will be taken.
- Min threshold: Threshold exceeding will result alerting.
- Max threshold: Threshold exceeding will result alerting.
- Ignore if Unavailable: Each time during “Agent” <–>”Server” interaction Agent asks if there any new counters for Agent to check. In case there are instructions to gather stats on new counters Agents starts to gather them. In case NO was selected each failure in Counters polling will be reflected as an error in reports, in case YES was selected – failures will be ignored.
The UID is a unique ID that is generated for each task. This ID is used to interface with the task in the API.