Device Manager provides an overview of all devices configured on your account.
Once a device has been created, it appears on the Device Manager page under the corresponding platform header. To open a list of devices under a particular platform, expand the platform header using the disclosure arrow on the left.
In the Device Manager list, you can see at a glance the number of devices, the status of the device, the frequency of monitoring on each device and the timestamp the device was last monitored. You can also quickly perform several actions relating to devices including enabling, postponing, and silencing a device as well as cloning a device or task, deleting a device or task and running a status report or an SLA report.
Adding a New Monitoring Device
Click the Add Device button to begin the process of adding a new device.
How to Search a Device in the List
To filter the list of existing devices, in the search field next to the Device Manager header, begin typing the name of a device you are looking for.
Note that it is important to give your devices a very specific name so that you can easily find them later.
Quick Access to Online Reports
Clicking a device line in the Device Manager list will get you to the Online Reporting page.
Device status displayed for a device reflects the most current mode-of-operation (i.e. the current state of behavior).
- No Tasks – means a monitoring device was created, but it contains no specified targets to monitor.
- In Process – indicates that a device is in the process of running a monitoring session
- Active – a device is active but is in an idle state between monitoring sessions (frequency).
- Postponed – means monitoring of the device is paused. Devices can also be postponed automatically via schedulers, as well as manually postponed via the device action menu by selecting Postpone.
- Not Completed – appears when a device was created using the EveryStep Scripting Tool but was not completely configured.
Devices can be managed using actions from the device menu accessed by clicking the Actions menu button (device menu) in a device row or the actions buttons:
- Add Task: add a new monitoring target to the device.
- Postpone: stop monitoring the device.
- Enable: activates monitoring of the postponed device.
- Edit: opens the page for editing the device.
- Clone: create a copy of the device.
- Delete: deletes the device.
- Legacy Report: configure and generate online reports for the device.
- Report: configure and generate online reports for the device in a brand-new form.
- SLA: configure and generate a Service Level Agreement (SLA) report for the device.
- Alert Silence: disable alerts for the device for 10, 30, 60, or 180 minutes.
- Run Now: runs monitoring the device regardless of the scheduler.
- Send Test Alert: sends a test alert email.
To complete a certain action to multiple devices at one time:
- Under a platform, select the devices in the list.
- On the appeared toolbar in the list header, click the necessary action button.
How to Disable Alerting for a Device
To temporary disable alerting for a device:
- Click the device menu button .
- On the device menu, point to Alert Silence.
- Select a period of time for disabling(silencing) alerts – 10-minutes, 30, 60, or 180 minutes.
If the option is configured, the alert for a device will be silenced for a specified period and the device will be marked with the mute icon in the list. This temporary alerting limitation covers all alert types.
To clone a device, on the device menu, select Clone.
The page will refresh and a copy of the device will be appended to the list of devices with the word “copy” added to the end of the device name. The clone will include all settings of the original device.
How to Test Alert Notifications
To make sure the notification emails don’t get caught in spam, use the Send Test Alert option from the device menu in Device Manager after configuring a new device.
The Run Now feature simplifies the operation of a device during situations when you’re working on “urgent” issues. By selecting the Run Now action you instantly initiate a monitoring check from all “spare” (specified for the selected device, but currently free of active sessions) monitoring agents. This can be especially helpful when you need fast, fresh monitoring results while addressing “urgent” issues.
To Run Now, click the Enable button in the device row or select Run Now from the device menu.